TikTok videos, (sometimes referred to as Tik Tok videos), are short edited clips designed with the intention of going viral both within the TikTok smartphone apps and on other social networks such as Twitter, Facebook, Minds, and Instagram.
Because of this social focus, the ability to share TikTok videos is built directly into the TikTok app and is prominently featured on each clip’s individual page. This share tool lets anyone post a link to the video on another social media app, send it to a contact, and even download it directly to their iOS or Android device.
This means that you thankfully don’t need to install or use a third-party Tik Tok video downloader app or program to save your favorite Starbucks TikTok tutorial or the day’s most-liked TikTok clip.
Permission to download TikTok videos from the app needs to be enabled by the video creator. The majority of TikTok clips allow for downloading, however, you may encounter some that have disabled this function.
Here’s how to download Tik Tok videos onto your phone or tablet.
How to Save TikTok Videos
To download a TikTok video, you’ll need the official TikTok app installed on your iOS or Android device. You may also want to connect to a Wi-Fi internet connection if your cellular plan has a low data limit.
- Open the TikTok app and find the video that you want to save.
- Tap the share icon on the right side of the screen. It’s the one that looks like an arrow.The share icon may change to a Twitter, Facebook, or other social network icon. This is done to show you the potential platforms where you can share the video. It won’t open another app or immediately share to another social account without your permission.
- From the black and white menu, tap Save video. The TikTok video should immediately begin downloading.
- You’ll be prompted to share the video on another app. Tap on one of these options to share it or tap Done to close this prompt.
- Find the video file on your tablet or smartphone in the same location where all of your saved videos and images usually go.
How Can I Download TikTok Videos With No Download Option?
You may come across some TikTok videos that are missing a download option within their share menu. This isn’t a bug in the app but a restriction placed on the video by the creator who may not want people saving their work due to a copyright issue or simple personal preference.
It’s important to keep in mind the wishes of the video creator when downloading one of their TikToks. If they don’t want you downloading their work, you can always share the link to their video with your friends or family instead.
One way to get around this is to use the built-in screen recording functionality on Android and iOS devices. Simply begin the screen recording, watch a TikTok video, and then stop recording.
Can I Download TikTok Videos on Desktop?
TikTok is designed to be a mobile experience. While the official TikTok website does allow for people to watch videos, commenting and saving is completely disabled on that platform and users are encouraged to download the apps for access to all features.
As with saving protected TikToks on mobile, you can also use screen recording to record videos that you’re watching on the TikTok website, however, it may actually be faster and easier to just download the iOS or Android app and save your favorite TikTok video the proper way.